Part I: Beginning to Consider the Cost of College as a First Generation Student

As the 2017-2018 academic year approaches, there are a substantial number of first-generation African-American college students anxiously awaiting the transition to a newfound freedom, in the form of college!!! Their attendance is an indication that the African-American community still has a sense of obligation and is committed to ensuring that our children are provided an educational opportunity, which will chart a path of personal, professional, and familial change.

College choice, for our traditional college-aged students, many times is the first major financial decision they are allowed to take part, and it has the potential to be an expensive training ground. As with all other major financial decisions, College is a Business Decision that requires planning and preparation.

  • In fall 2014, total undergraduate degree enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions 17.3 million students.
  • In fall 2014, female students made up 56% of total undergraduate enrollment at 9.7 million. Male students made up 44% of total undergraduate enrollment with 7.6 million.
  • In fall 2014, 9.6 million were white, 3.0 were Hispanic, 2.4 million were black, 1.0 million were Asian, 0.1 million were American Indian/Alaska Native, and 0.1 million were Pacific islander.
  • In fall 2014, there were 10.8 million full-time and 6.5 million part-time undergraduate students.
  • In fall 2014, the 10.6 million students at 4-year institutions made up 61 percent of undergraduate enrollment, the remaining 39 percent (6.7 million students) were enrolled at 2-year institutions.

Data Obtained From: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cha.asp

Advertisements